Sunday, August 19, 2007

"The best I've written so far."

I'm deep in the initial chapters of a new series about pirates and the women who love them. It opens with the Treaty of Amiens in 1802 and the heroine is returning to Jamaica after her first season in London. The temporary peace with Napoleon has thrown a flock of privateers out of employment and they have reverted to piracy, etc.

The story's going great guns and I'm enjoying the writing so much, I made the above comment at breakfast, only to have my partner smile knowingly and remind me that I say this with every new book I begin.

Stephen King, in his very readable book, "On Writing", admits to the same feeling, so I'm in good company.

Its a great life.

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pirates sound like fun. Wait until you get into the middle of the book and see if you feel the same way then. I struggle with the middle and usually want to kick my characters ;-)

I hear Stephen King was in Australia recently and reported for defacing books by a customer in a bookshop.

Unknown said...

I have trouble with my characters only when I try to force them to obey me rather than the reverse.

Stephen King was in an Alice Springs bookshop and started signing his books on the shelf when another customer reported him to the owner, who didn't recognise him at first. She said later, she'd have baked him a cake if she'd known he was coming.