Sunday, February 26, 2006

Distractions

I'm having one of those days.

The second book of the New Blood trilogy has reached the interesting stage where the background is established and the story has its own momentum, we are preparing for two overseas trips and the weather has turned comfortable after a series of hot and humid days.

I should be focused on the tasks at hand, but I'm not.

Instead, my mind keeps straying to the damned vampire story I mentioned in an earlier post, adding lots of interesting little twists to a different take on an area of the genre I usually leave to people who can do it much better than I, especially in the erotica stakes (an appropriate term for a blog on vampires??).

I've tried all the old tricks, even posed a question on the NCP readers and author's group in the hope than someone would say it was nonsense, but the heroine keeps stalking into my thoughts and demanding attention. I've told her to wait her turn a dozen times, but she ignores me as completely as she ignores danger.

Perhaps that's her secret. She really ignores nothing, merely bends it to her will and she's proving stronger than my writer's discipline, even slipping unnoticed into the characters in a different story.

I'll end on that note and go back to the struggle.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh Fight the power! lol

So far I have managed to keep my characters in line although they love to flash me...scene. *tehe* I wish they were hot ones, but no, they are different points in their journey that captures my attention. If only my fingers could work fast enough and this writer's block go away!

Unknown said...

Hi Jodici,
Mine chatter away in the back of my mind, making rude remarks about each other(some of which I use). This one is a little more undisciplined. She makes rude remarks about me as well.
I'm not sure I've run into writer's block yet. I can be distracted, led up the wrong path in the story, etc., but that just sends me back to the point where I lost the thread.