Friday, August 01, 2008

Soul Music

Soul music is a little different for writers.

A little over a week ago, I signed a thirteen page contract allowing an independent Australian Film company, Spirit Rider Productions, the film rights to The Widow-Maker. Last night, I received two emails from them. The first told me work had started on the screen play and the second is below

Hi Amy,
I just wanted to thank you again for giving me the opportunity to develop your novel The Widow Maker into a feature film.
I hope that I can do it justice for you and your fans.
Kind Regards
Brian
Spirit Rider Productions.

That's soul music to a writer!

We spend hour after hour at a keyboard, often tired, frequently distracted, trying to grasp the elusive idea that sent us there and craft it into readable prose. Our partners indulge us without quite understanding the why of it, children and grandchildren shake their heads at our strange obsessions and, eventually, the royalties start to trickle in. A good review or two is a boost. as is the praise of editors, but nothing quite satisfies the hunger to do better that grows with every published book.

I've been writing seriously now for almost ten years and am as mystified now as to the imperative that keeps me at it as I was in the beginning. (It certainly isn't the financial rewards.)

Brian's email and the ones from satisfied readers are the closest explanation.

It's a great life.

Amy

No comments: