Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The best laid plans....


I tackled the long overdue task of sorting through the Aladdin's cave of things left temporarily (?) by our children during their various shifts from one house to another, a dark corner of our garage that has grown exponentially to take up both workshop and car spaces. The first stage was to sort things into piles of ownership, a process growing more difficult as I ventured further and further into terra incognito.

Near the end, when I had three piles of identified, but forgotten treasures under the shelter of the carport and a garage that echoed noise strangely, I stepped back and onto a can of spray paint that had escaped one of the boxes when I was shifting it and fell heavily.

Initially just winded, it wasn't until I attempted to rise that I realized that I'd twisted or banged my left knee and it wouldn't support me. As always, in these events, I was home alone and it took me twenty minutes to get to my feet with the aid of a work bench.

Today is a little better and I can hobble slowly and painfully while we wait for the results of x-rays etc.

For over seventy years, I have commanded my body and it obeyed...is this the beginning of anarchy?

3 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Oh, dear. I hope you're doing a bit better now. Hubby's mother inherits all the junk in her basement. I'll be on the lookout for paint cans should I have to go in there.

My father hobbles everywhere these days, but he's had many spectacular falls from horses and other animals over the years. I don't think that helps. At least you've been fairly fit until now. Will you go to physio? Knees can be tricky.

Unknown said...

Apart from the bruising, now turning technicolour, the knee problem is thought to be a meniscal tear of the cushioning cartilage , complicated by degenerative arthritis. Because I have a history of these things righting themselves without surgery (against the odds), the current plan is to rest it and see what happens.
(The whole thing is considered a cunning plan on my part to continue writing and get out of work).

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Amy,
Sorry to hear about your knee injury, hope it recovers quickly. Good thing it wasn't your hand, then you wouldn't be able to write and that would be a shame.

Regards

Margaret